Quality Choices for Early Childhood Education and Child Care in Lincoln Parish

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I apply for an early childhood program?

A: Applications are different for different programs. You may begin the process by using the common application form located on the Home Page. However, each program may require additional information on additional forms.

Q: What do I need to bring with me to apply for an early childhood program?

A: Different documents are required for different programs. Each program required a copy of your child's up-to-date immunization form. Most require a copy of the original birth certificate. You may also be asked to provide a copy of your child's social security card, two proofs of residence (two different but recent bills that show your residence address), and proof of income.

Q: When do I apply for an early childhood program?

A: Check with the site of your choice. Some programs accept applications throughout the year. The Coordinated Enrollment Period will be February 27 - March 3, 2017, and the Coordinated Event will be held on March 2, 2017, at the Lincoln Parish Public Library Event Center.

These programs accept applications throughout the year:

  • Childcare Centers
  • Early Steps​

The Coordinated Application period will be February 27-March 3 and will focus primarily on the following programs for 4-year-olds:

  • Lincoln Parish Public School PreK Programs at LPECC 
  • New Living Word NSECD Program
  • Lifechurch.LA NSECD Program
  • Head Start
  • Emmanuel Baptist Church
  • LA Tech Early Childhood Education Center

The Coordinated Application Period is NOT a "first come, first served" system. Instead, all completed applications of eligible children taken during February 27-March 3, 2017, will be considered.

Q: Where do I apply for an early childhood program?

A: You may apply directly at the site. For a complete list of sites and their addresses, go to the Child Care Options page.

Q: How do I know if I qualify for Child Care Assistance?


  • Are you responsible for paying child care costs for a child under 13 or a child under 18 with a disability who lives with you? 
  • Do you, your spouse, and any other caregivers of children who live in your home, work or attend an educational or training program at least 30 hours a week in combination?
  • If not participating in one or a combination of these activities, do these persons receive disability income?
  • Is your household's total monthly gross earned and unearned income less than the amount listed below for your household size? (gross income refers to income before any deductions from the paycheck)

2 persons
4 persons
6 persons
8 persons
3 persons
5 persons
7 persons
9 persons

If you answered YES to all of the above questions, you may be eligible for child care assistance.

Q: How do I figure out my monthly income?


Monthly Income Calculation Table
Pay PeriodFormula
Hourly(Hourly wage x 40 hrs per week) x 4.33
Monthly, same gross pay each monthUse gross salary
Paid exactly 2 times per month (example: 1st and 15th of the month)Gross salary x2
Paid same gross amount every 2 weeks(Gross salary divided by 2) x 4.33
WeeklyGorss salary x 4.33

Q: When will I know if my child has been accepted?

A: The public school PreK and NSECD programs will select a specific date about a month after the Coordinated Enrollment Period as the Notification Date. Childcare centers, Early Steps, and Head Start will notify you as soon as possible after processing your application. 

Q: What happens if I miss the Coordinated Application Period?

A: If you miss the Coordinated Application Period, you may still submit an application for your child. However, this application will be placed on a waiting list until all applications submitted during the Coordinated Application Period have been processed. Once these children have been placed, you will be notified if a spot is available. 

Q: If I qualify, is my child guaranteed a spot?

​A: No, eligibility doesn't guarantee enrollment. In order to provide a safe and developmentally appropriate environment, all programs have only a certain number of children they can serve.

Q: What happens if I don't qualify?

A: If you don't qualify for a publicly-funded program, paying tuition at a quality-rated childcare center is an option. The right care and education for your child in these critical years is worth considering. Remember, your choices shape their chances and quality should always be your choice.

Q: What is Quality Start?

A:  As parents, you want the very best for your children. That's what Quality Start is all about. When you choose a Quality Start member childcare center, you nkow you are choosing a center that is amoung the finest in the state. Quality Start is a voluntary program for licenses childcare centers, designed to recognize, support, and increase the quality of child care throught Louisiana. Participating centers can earn up to five stars. Quality Start also offers training and incentives to childcare providers to help increase their rating. Important new quarterly bonuses and tax credits are also available to parents who choose a Quality Start center.

Q: Why should I choose a Quality Start Childcare Center?

A: Research shows that quality childcare can improve your child's well-being, including reqdiness for school.

  1. Childcare centers who participate are showing parents their commitment to providing quality child care.
  2. On your tax return, your family may qualify for the annual School Readiness Tax Credit based on the star rating of your childcare center, your family income, and your child's age.

Q: Where can I get more information about Quality Start?

A: Contact your Child Care Resource and Referral Agency, Child Care Connections, at 318-323-4522 or visit their website, childrenscoalition.org

Q: Who do I call if I think my child has missed a Developmental Milestone?

A: If your child is an infant to 3 years old (36 months), call EarlySteps for help (318-322-4788). If your child is 3 to 5 years old, call the Lincoln Parish School Board's Pupil Appraisal Office for help (318-255-8451). Early intervention is very important and gives your child the best chance to overcome a delay.